Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Moved in

Well, I finally moved into my new house. I’ve actually been here for a few days, but have been quite busy getting things set.up. My room looks like all of my suitcases pretty much just exploded and everything is everywhere. I’ve had the time to make one small shelf for the bathroom out of a tomato crate that I found on the side of the road. As for the kitchen, my stove top is on the floor (as is everything else), so for the time being that’s where I cook until I figure out the best way to do a counter. Here, it is much more common for people to cook outside, and on the floor. At my homestay in Rosso, I don’t know that I saw a single shelf in the whole house. However at boutiques everything is on shelves. Oh well… so I’m just going to have to get creative! I’ve also dug my compost here to get some good soil for the garden that I’m hopefully going to dig soon. I think first order of business is to pick up my rooms because that’s really kinda driving me crazy. Oh, and there is an outside chance that I’m going to be getting a chair in the next few days! Keep your fingers crossed cause that would make my day!

Ramadan is progressing, we’re over half way though so far. Apparently on the last day of Ramadan there is a huge party… really big! Someone told me that it’s kinda like Christmas! So I guess that’s exciting huh? I’ll have to let you know how that one goes.

Other than that… the other first year volunteer’s house is still not ready (due to Ramadan we’re told). All of the construction is done and all, but the door can’t be locked securely from the inside. The locks on the doors from the inside are usually just a bolt that goes into a hole, but on her door the hole and the bolt don’t line up. Plus then there’s a hole in the door just above the bolt where someone can stick their fingers in and move the bolt if they’re really talented. I was telling this to the guy, and he just said that people here don’t do that. For the most part from what I can tell and seen talking with people that seems to be generally the case. But a woman living alone here, definitely would want the door to lock!

Running is going alright, I find it hard to motivate myself to get out the door a lot of the times… but I’m hoping that will get better shortly once I become more settled. So that’s about it from this side of the pond. I hope that you are all doing well! Later!

No comments: