Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tabaski and other good stories...

So I was talking to my parents the other day... and I was telling them a bunch of stories that I thought were rather common place... turns out they thought they were hilarious... so I'll share some with you...

1) Going to Atar in Taxi Bruisse... we stop at someone's house to get some gas before leaving (I'm not sure why we didn't use the gas station... but whatever) and we are filling up as the car is running. Stupid me... I ask why are we doing this, and isn't it dangerous? haha... the response from the 2nd year volunteers was... yes, but you can't turn the car off cause you don't know if it's going to start again!

2)Also in the Taxi Bruisse... we are waiting for the rest of the passengers (there's four of us in the back seat of a small car)... one guy starts walking over with a goat. The girl next to me says, "I don't want that goat in the car. I don't want the goat in the car. I DON'T WANT THE GOAT IN THE CAR! Is the goat coming in the car?" The other girl next to me (Tessa) says, "I don't want the goat on my bag... get the goat off my bag! I don't want it pooping and peeing on my bag!"... the other guy, "Maybe they'll tie it to the roof?". Well... the goat came in the car (in the trunk... but not exactly separated from us much... it smelt like barn yard, but they were thinking enough to put the goat in a rice sack and to move the bags to one side!

3) and random pick-up lines that will make you puke: "Kate... I love you. If you could open my heart and see inside, there you would find a picture of you!", On a completely separate occasion: "Kate... I love you. I have written your name in my heart.", and "My goodness, I thought for a moment I was on another planet because never before has such beauty graced the streets of Akjoujt". Thanks to all the crazy men for those laughs...

And the fete yesterday (Tabaski). Well... as mentioned previously, everyone kills a sheep to commemorate the story of Abraham and Issac. So I went to the landlord's to get some water, and I saw the sheep in the back... they had just killed it and the dad was preparing to skin it. So I got the water and went back home. A little big later they popped a bag up on the wall with some fresh meat in it (literally). It was really nice of them... got some shoulder, leg, liver, and other such random meats. Poor Tessa tried to cut up the meat for grilling later that day... and just couldn't do it. After having heard the sheep baa ing in the morning, skinned later on, and then the meat on the wall... it was just a bit too much.

And so that's about it from Africa land... gearing up for Christmas/Hanukkah celebrations (cause one of the site mates is Jewish)... yippie!!!

No comments: